Crochet Granny Square Tote Bag

How to Make Paper Mache Pulp

Actually I wanted to write a post on making different kinds of paper mache items. But right now I don't have pictures of the things I made and am too busy to make anything new and then take a snap and post it here.
On the other hand, I was feeling guilty that I haven't posted for so many days here, though I talked about crafter's block , it didn't do anything to lift my spirits and send me to my craft table.
Any ways here I am sharing with you some methods to make paper mache pulp.



1. Fuller's earth : This is my favourite technique. Soak newspapers in a bucket for about 2 weeks. Change water every now and then. Take out the papers, put them on floor and pound them with something heavy. I use stone. When the mash is fine, add fuller's earth and mix it properly.
 Your designer paper clay is ready. My grand mother used to make bowels through this method. It's an old technique being in use for many centuries in Haryana, a small part of India where I live.If you don't want to wait for too long, you can soak the paper overnight and then boil it in water for at least 2 hours. This way the paper will break down to fragments. Another alternative for pounding with stone is the mixer. You can strain the fragmented paper and put it in the mixer( ask mama first).

2. Flour : You can make your vegan pulp by adding flour.It's easy to make as you can get all the items in your home. But I don't like this method because the pulp may get moulds.( even if you add salt to prevent molding). If you still want to go ahead with it, here is how you should do.
Mix water,corn starch,salt and four slowly and remove all the bumps. You will know you have got the required consistency through a few tests and trials. If you are using tissue papers, then the pulp should be thin. With newspapers, the pulp you use can be thick. Just immerse the paper in the pulp and then stick it to the mould ( form) you are using.
Or alternatively you can add this flour pulp in the mashed newspaper mix and straight away make things using it.



3. Adhesive: The method of making this type of pulp is similar to no. 1, except that fuller's earth is replaced by glue or any adhesive of your choice.Bleach is also added to prevent the paper from rotting.


4. Egg Carton: This is the easiest recipe for paper mache pulp.Egg cartons are useless after we have consumed what was in them (eggs, silly). Make them useful by tearing and mixing them in water.leave it overnight. When you wake up in the morning, you will find your pulp ready to be used. You don't need to put adhesive in it because the carton already contains a fastening agent in it.

Comments

  1. How do you make a paper mache mummie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happens if ballon start flattens as we put layers of paper masche?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi your blog is really interesting... where do you get fullers earth... besides the cosmetic face packs???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the tip about egg cartons! I hadn't thought about using those for paper mache. (we use them for other crafty things!) I needed an easy paper mache pulp for the school kiddies and you really came through!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to visit my blog. I really love to read your opinions and thoughts. Have a lovely day :)